Saturday, July 31, 2010

Me and the kids have seen an albino squirrel should we report it to some wildlife protection people?

we've seen it a few times on our estate in streatham,just wondered if it might need special care.Me and the kids have seen an albino squirrel should we report it to some wildlife protection people?
well, albino squirells have a pretty small chance of surviving, so you could report itMe and the kids have seen an albino squirrel should we report it to some wildlife protection people?
I would definatly, the red squirrels are endangered so an albino must me even rarer
i wouldnt worry its lived allright tiil now
What, with white fur and pink eyes? Thats weird. I want one lol.
I Interned back in the day with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and their stance on the albino squirrel was that it was to common for any special protection.





The reason for this is that though they are somewhat rare it is not a separate species, it's just a genetic anomaly and as such can happen at any time as long as the squirrel population is healthy (like it very much is!)





So, no need to report it, just enjoy one of natures little quirks!
no as if you disturb it it will panic and could get run over it will be finding a habitat
They are not all that rare. I saw one in Croydon a few years ago. I've also seen a pure black one.
It wouldn't hurt. You never know, there could be a chemical imbalance in the environment where the squirrel lives. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Report to the The Albino Squirrel Preservation Society


--%26gt; http://albinosquirrel.com/





By the way, it should be ';The kids and I'; not ';me and the kids';





A common mistake is to use these pronouns incorrectly when creating a compound subject or object such as ';you and I'; or ';Tom and me';.





Correct examples:


Tom and I went to see the movie.


You should come with Tom and me.





It seems to me that we all remember being corrected when as children we improperly made statements such as ';Grandpa and me went to the park yesterday.'; ';Grandpa and I,'; we are told by our parents and teachers (who thought it futile to tell us that we must use the SUBJECT pronoun in this case). Eventually we self-consciously remember that the proper way to speak is ';grandpa and I';, ';you and I';, ';Tom and I';.
Was the albino squirrel a grey squirrel or a red squirrel?
Wow, it would be good if you could get a photo of it. Are you sure it's a squirrel? It could be a ferret - they are quite common in white. If it is a city dwelling squirrel its biggest threat is going to be cars and cats. Albinos in the wild generally don't stand much of a chance, firstly because it's possible the mother will reject it and secondly because they have no camouflage. If it's a prey animal it cannot hide from predators, if it's a predator it cannot stalk as efficiently because it will be spotted easily.


I would report it to someone and get the identification verified. I think it should be left to its own devices as it seems as if it's adapted to its environment. I still suspect it might be a ferret though.
Every species has an albino. Why be concerned?
Actually it is not all that rare, here in Canada in Exeter, Ontario there is a whole population of albino grey squirrels. I would suggest you just leave it alone and let it pass on its genes, eventually you may have an albino population where you live. Where I live the grey squirrels are more commonly black (melanistic) than grey.





Excerpt from Wikipedia... As its name suggests, the Eastern Grey Squirrel's fur is predominantly grey, but it can have a reddish tinge. Its belly is white. They have a large bushy tail. Particularly in urban situations where predation risk is reduced, both albino and melanistic forms of the Eastern Grey Squirrel are quite often found. At the northern limits of its range in the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec, the melanistic form tends to be more common than the grey form. There are well established colonies of melanistic individuals in Victoria Park, London, Ontario, Canada (with a daughter colony at Kent State University, Ohio); Albion, Michigan; Farmington, Michigan; Holland, Michigan; Washington, DC; Toronto, Ontario and its surrounding areas; Princeton, New Jersey; and the Bronx, New York. Additionally there are colonies of albino (white) individuals in the towns of Exeter, Ontario and Olney, Illinois as well as Brevard, North Carolina.





If you really want to do something you can contact the Albino Squirrel Preservation society at http://albinosquirrel.com/
Catch it and make some squirell stew for the kiddies.
  • facebook.com
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment