Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another squirrel hunting question?

I live in CT, and it is winter here. I am trying to hunt squirrel, but I can't find any! Any advice on how to find some squirrels? How can I find where their dens are? I can't find any holes in the trees! Please help! Thank you in advance to all who answer!Another squirrel hunting question?
Baiting works great especially in the snow. throw a mix of peanuts, doritos, cut up bread, and sunflower seeds out on the ground in the woods you hunt. Give it a few hours and check it out. They'll be their. The doritos help them see it when they poke their heads out of their burrows. If you can find a small tree with a nest (bunch of leaves and twigs in a big 12in mess up in the branches) you can grab the tree and shake the hell out of it. This usually will make the tennant come running out to find out whats going on. Never shoot into the nest because even if you do kill one, their it will sit forever (unless you can climb up). Technically, you are illegally hunting but, this is one of the main things that developed my obsessing for hunting as a kid. So unless you 18, have fun and enjoy.Another squirrel hunting question?
you should probably put out some peanuts or shelled corn used for deer hunting but only put a little out at first until you know they're eating it. You should sit down after a day or two by it and watch and see if they're coming but put the corn at the bottom of a tree where they would feel safer trying to eat it. I hunt squirrel myself you should probably use a 22 cal. during the winter because your not as covered as in the fall where there are allot of leaves. but I use a shotgun anyway and it seems to work well but a 22. cal would be easier unless your looking for a big challenge.
Look for leaf nests in trees, that will tell you if there are squirrels in the area. DO NOT try to shoot squirrels in their nests!


In the winter, they are active only on the warmer days- often midday is best.


I have the best luck finding squirrels in areas that have a mix of hardwood forests and fields. If you can find oak trees near a cornfield- you will find squirrels.


Eat what you shoot, and don't forget the hunting license.





* Squirrels are a game species and you need to follow your state laws, including license requirements. I use a call to get them out of their nests.


Harold- yes of course I eat squirrel meat, as do most other small game hunters. Not doing so is wasteful, unsportsmanlike, and in most if not all states, illegal. If you were a hunter you should have known that.
Bait and call....I don't hunt them I exterminate them. I use a Primos Squirrel buster call and it works pretty good. Takes a little practice though. They are actually in my barn more than they are outside I think.
You eat squirrel meat!?

No comments:

Post a Comment