Friday, November 25, 2011

Is a squirrel edible?

Excerpt from British Article on Popularity of Eating Squirrel:





It tastes sweet, like a cross between lamb and duck. And it's selling as fast as butchers can get it It's rather low in fat.





'We put it on the shelf and it sells. It can be a dozen squirrels a day - and they all go,' said David Simpson, the director of Kingsley Village shopping centre in Fraddon, Cornwall, whose game counter began selling grey squirrel meat two months ago.





At Ridley's Fish and Game shop in Corbridge, Northumberland, the owner David Ridley says he has sold 1,000 - at 拢3.50 a squirrel - since he tested the market at the beginning of the year. 'I wasn't sure at first, and wondered would people really eat it. Now I take every squirrel I can get my hands on. I've had days when I have managed to get 60 and they've all sold straight away.'





Simpson likens the taste to wild boar. Ridley thinks it is more a cross between duck and lamb. 'It's moist and sweet because, basically, its diet has been berries and nuts,' he said.





Both believe its new-found popularity is partly due to its green credentials. 'People like the fact it is wild meat, low in fat and local - so no food miles,' says Simpson.





And his own favourite recipe? 'I must admit, I'm a beef man myself,' he said. 'But my huntsman swears by squirrel with sausage meat and bacon.'Is a squirrel edible?
We were raised up eating squirrel in The Texas Hill country...and yes it is very nice and tasty..does not taste like chicken as someone tried to mention here..t has it's very own taste and is excellent...We used to hunt the ';pecan Bottoms'; on the central Texas hill country sometimes 10 or 12 of us at a time for fried squirrell for our family reunions...Is a squirrel edible?
What do you think Davy Crockett,and Sam Houston ate???


My grandmother and mother were raised on squirrel,rabbit,some possum(ugh). I've had it smothered in a skillet in gravy..it's fair that way...very gamy,you need to season it highly! very rich dark meat...doesn't taste like chicken at all. They say it is very healthy...I guess it is my gm lived to 100.
yes it is. It's a meat, not much to it though. When I lived in Cabool, MO my neighbors would get a permit to shoot them out of their trees. One evening I went to their house and the kids (5,and 3) were arguing who would get the brains. Talk about running out the door.
YES WE HAVE EATEN FRIED SQUIRREL AND GRAVY FOR DECADES. WITH A FEW MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY .YOU HAVE A MEAL
Yes squirrel is edible, but only at a certain time of the year.
yes they are , but there is very little meat and depending on how you cook it is very gamey
Most hunters will tell you yes.
yes right along with rabbit
yes, and it is quite tasty.
Yes, but not kosher.
Itis edible but as it's a type of rat - no thanks.
yes......tastes like chicken........that kinda rot in the son for a while...
  • facebook.com
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment